tall-lighthouse - with its beautifully-produced publications is now
an unmissable landmark lighting up the London poetry scene.
(coffee-house poetry at the troubadour)
NEWS FROM THE LIGHTHOUSE
• An announcement will be made in the next 14 days concerning the November tl 2014 publications and the associated launch events.
• Authors who submitted in the last reading period will be notified by the end of September 2014 on whether publication is offered. This is due to there being over 500 submissions in this period.
• Congratulations to Harry Man, Mark Russell, Aoife Mannix and John Barron, who have been widely reviewed in poetry periodicals like Magma, The Journal and Under the Radar.
• One of our more recent authors, Jodie Hollander, was recently chosen for the autumn 2014 residency at La Napoule Art Foundation. Details can be found here here.
• Harry Man has been nominated for a Sabotage award for best pamphlet of the year. The voting is only open for a few more days [until 25th May 2014], so if you're interested in voting, the link is here.
• Authors who submitted material to tall-lighthouse in the window up to the end of February 2014 have now been notified whether they were successful or not. In view of this longer submission period window, the current open window has now been extended to June 30th 2014, with a decision on this window expected in early August 2014 for publication in early 2015.
• Congratulations to Harry Man, who has won the Bridges of Struga award for 2014. There's more on this story here.
• Thanks to all the people who attended the tall lighthouse launch on the 13th January - it was good to see the place packed out and I hope everyone enjoyed the event. There's a further stellar lineup at 23rd January 2014 at 7:30pm in Sheffield at the Red Deer Pub, at 18 Pitt Street, S1 4DD for the launch of John Barron's pamphlet "The Nail Forge". John himself will be reading, as well as the excellent Julie Mellor, who is published by Smith / Doorstop, and Fay Musselwhite, who is published by Longbarrow.
• There's another great night of poetry on the 2nd February 2014 if you're in the Oxford area. Harry Man, Ben Parker and Holly Corfield-Carr will be performing sets on that date at the Albion Beatnik Bookstore, 34 Walton Street, OX2 6AU Oxford.
• Tall lighthouse is holding an open event to celebrate our new publications at the Poetry Cafe, Betterton Street, Covent Garden, London on the 13 January 2014 at 7:30pm. There will be readings from Aoife Mannix, Harry Man and Mark Russell. Entry is free. A further event will take place on 23rd January 2014 at 7:30pm in Sheffield at the Red Deer Pub, at 18 Pitt Street, S1 4DD for the launch of John Barron's pamphlet "The Nail Forge", with readings from Barron himself and from other poets to be confirmed. Entry is also free to this event.
• Our new 2013 publications are now available for order in the publications section - all released on the 31st October 2013. There are pamphlets from John Barron "The Nail Forge", Alex Green "Let The West Coast Be Settled", Harry Man "Lift", Mark Russell "Pursued by Well-being", and a full collection from Aoife Mannix "Cocktails from the Ceiling".
• Congratulations to Ben Parker, who has been shortlisted for the 2013 Michael Marks Award for his excellent pamphlet "The Escape Artists" and to Helen Mort, who has been shortlisted for the T S Eliot Prize for "Division Street" (Chatto and Windus).
• tall lighthouse will be running a free open mic from the Poetry Cafe, Betterton Street, Covent Garden, London on the 2nd Monday of every month from March 2013. The next night is 9 December 2013, 7:30pm, with sign up between 6:30pm and 7:15pm. Six minute spots are available.
• Previous readings from tall lighthouse poets include Ben Parker at the
Dorchester on Thames Festival in May 2013 [click for details] and Aiofe Mannix reading excerpts from the work of Adrienne Rich at The Jewish Book Week on 2nd March 2013 [click for details]. Their work is available from the publications section of the website or at the event itself.
• We are proud to announce the publication of Ben Parker's "The Escape Artists" and Jodie Hollander's "The Humane Society". Both titles were published on November 30th 2012. Orders can be made from the publications section of the website. Biographies of the authors and some of their poetry can be found in the poets section. The Sabotage review of the Parker pamphlet can be found here.
• We are sad to announce the death of Janice Fixter, author of the excellent collection "A Kind of Slow Motion", who passed away on the 24th July 2012. An extremely talented writer and a genuinely open personality, she will be much missed.
• We highly recommend the relaunched magazine "The Echo Room", edited by Brendan Cleary and published by Echo Room Press / Pighog Press, which includes great new work from Joe Duggan, Helen Mort, David Crystal, Martin Stannard, and many others. A link to purchase is here.
Submission guidelines can be found here.
The window for submissions is now open until 30 June 2014.